Sunday, July 09, 2006

Scoring for this Week

Yes, the preliminary scores, as Red surmised, were without the sunglasses add-on (also known as the "Double Tom Cruise's points rule". Since next week won't have the sunglasses, I figured posting the prelimary scores with sunglasses would be misleading. Two questions for the league: Red outlined a rule that advertisements do not count. I took that to include the "Star Style" section (82-85 if you're playing along at home), since there's no text and just prices and goods. Also, is a n accessory a straight good? Or if you're wearing sunglasses and you're barefoot, should you lose points? I just added for this week, but I can see if people have a difference of opinion.

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Star Style definitely counts. It is an Us Weekly magazine feature, and is therefore original content produced by Us Weekly.

An accessory counts as a point when someone wears it. Therefore, when Nicole Ritchie is in sunglasses in a Fashion Police section, she gets 1 point for the sunglasses and -3 points for being in fashion police, for a net of -2 points for that photo.

11:57 PM  
Blogger A. J. Simon said...

I will make the necessary changes to my totals for this week -- if you guys have been counting this we should keep doing it. When the rule changes are revisited, I think this one would be one possible one to consider -- that "section" bothers me so much -- they add a title on to several pages of ads and count that as a "section".

12:54 AM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

But it is something that is a part of the magazine's original content--they even list it in the table of contents. When I said no advertising I meant ads paid for by the advertisers that are included in the magazine but are not part of Us Weekly's content.

When revisiting the rules I would strongly advocate for keeping this--Us putting a photo of Nicole Ritchie or Reese Witherspoon in that section says just as much about the popularity of that celebrity and Us's editorial choice in including that celebrity than any other portion of the magazine.

1:44 AM  
Blogger A. J. Simon said...

I definitely see your point -- but Halle Berry doing a Revlon ad or Pepsi picking Beyonce over Britney says something about their popularity and the decision of Us Weekly about which companies to go after.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home